Jay Shifman is an Addiction and Mental Health Speaker, Writer, Consultant, Coach, and Advocate and the host of the Choose Your Struggle podcast. Ten years in recovery from a prescription pill addiction, Jay works with people ready to choose the next step in their Mental Health journey. He lives on Daniel Island, South Carolina, in the US, with his wife, Lauren, and their dog, Nell.
- Jay’s pill addiction came from ADHD tablets then started to show symptoms of bipolar disorder and was using 5-6 pills a day and at 23, tried to commit suicide and that was the start of his awakening to heal himself.
- On January 2nd 2010, he was on his way to his grandparents where he spent 4 months where he spent his time recovering and coming off his meds.
- He then had a chance to look after a coffee shop and slowly he began rebuilding his life.
- Jay talks about the stigma around addiction and mental health and his podcast helps to dispel those thoughts.
- Jay’s definition of happiness is actualization – being mindful in what you are doing.
- His morning routine involves stretching and positive affirmations.
- Things that light Jay up includes seeing people spread joy, people taking positive steps, indulging in things that bring you pleasure.
- His fantasy meal is a mixture of family meals.
- His fan of Star Wars and Harry Potter
- He does a daily check in at lunchtime and a review at night to see how he feels at the end of the day.
- Mindfulness is the best thing Jay believes will be beneficial for health.
- His fantasy dinner guests would be Robin Williams and his grandmothers.
- Jay has two practices of gratitude on a Monday morning shoutout and Friday afternoon coffee treats to people who have made a difference to him.
www.JayShifman.com is my website.
www.OrnelasStationConsulting.com is my company’s website.
Jay Shifman is my name on LinkedIn and Facebook
@TheNextShifman is my Instagram
@JBShifman is my twitter handle.
Choose Your Struggle is the podcast.